Friday, February 1, 2008

: long overdue, but then again, maybe not :


I am supposed to be packing up my office, and I actually spent $17.31 on 'banker's boxes' on my way in today, the first day in 8 years, 4 months, 3 weeks, days? hours? minutes? that I'm not in the employ of Lambrick Park Church. Very strange indeed.

So I am procrastinating ... by creating a 'blog. Here's why.

As I have thoroughly enjoyed and benefited from a half dozen 'blog(ger)s the past few years ... specifically jordoncooper.com, dashhouse.com, emergentvoyageurs, Guy Kawasaki, AJ Renton, nathancolquhoun, Tim 'and another thing' Bailey, jameskingsley, Waving or Drowning, oft-times Matt Bing-man and others ... I thought maybe it was ( my ) time?

I don't expect too much, so I hope you don't either, but as this is a time of transition for me it only makes sense to try and track some of the reading I do, some of the conversations I have, some of the people
I meet, and some of the opportunities that surface over the next few months.

I may fail miserably at this, and L2L may join the millions of dead 'blogs out there. Or, it may be a good thing, having read and learned from thousands of posts read and in some manner digested. Bottomline? my experience has been that IF you are willing to listen, to learn, to listen in order to learn, amazing things come from that posture of trying to be a teachable person. So, that's the thinking and the goal behind L2L:L2L ... I want to be listening to learn, but always still learning to listen.

So, thanks Jordon C, Darryl D, Jamie A-R, James K, Mike T, Nathan C, Guy K, Tim B and more recently Matt B and AJR, plus others who've inspired me. I doubt I will be as prolific as you have been, but something tells me this will be a good discipline over these next few months.

dlc

ps. just got back in from a surprise lunch with the next generation leadership of this great church we are part of ... thanks! it helped me procrastinate another hour or so.

pps. I gotta say that when someone like JimmyK writes a tribute to you, and you're not even dead yet, one needs to enjoy it. James posted a classic kingsley-esque one yesterday that really made my day at ... http://kingsleytribute.notlong.com ... I'm still playing around with linking to these things properly, and JK tells me he will help set that up anytime.

When a certain 'slice' of people from a certain 'segment' of humanity simply do not understand you, your values, or your leadership style, it is rewarding to see someone who does get it articulate it. I'm not sure JK is 100% accurate, but it was really nice to see on my last day of work. The wonder years of 2004-2006 sure were a great ride out here. May we always remember them, and hope for some more like them.

7 comments:

Jamie said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! I'd offer to help you learn Blogger, but I don't use it. Anyway, let the blog serve you and not the other way around. I'll add you to my blogroll now.

Peace,
Jamie
www.missional.blog.com

P.S. I suggest you allow comment-ers to use Nicknames, as people like me can't comment well without it.

LJ said...

Welcome! You're a wordsmith at heart. You'll find a home here easily.

James Kingsley said...

yee-haw!!! welcome don! i'm stoked as to what may come from this new venue for your thoughts, ideas, and general ninja, stylings.

and i can show you how to embed links anyday. for everyone else, here's the link to the tribute mentioned in don's post.

Anonymous said...

hey Don. This is good. I'm looking forward to some "I could get fired for this" posts, now that it's not a threat...

:)

T

The Renegade Librarian said...

Dude, the Bing Dynasty salutes you! Glad my blog(s) have provided you with some entertainment--I am looking forward to many happy returns courtesy of DLC...

Anonymous said...

Hi Don, welcome to the bloging neighborhood...looking forward to hearing your journey, and reflections.Peace...Ron Cole+

Anonymous said...

Good to see you out here, Don.