Saturday, February 16, 2008

: longevity :

... it has only really been a full week since I have been 'sans keys' to LPC, and therefore really, truly, done. So maybe some of this is premature, or maybe it is part of the process, but I have been thinking about longevity.

How do certain people 'go the distance' in certain situations? Why do others not? Are there certain skill sets, contributions, or just plain one-off serendipitous assignments we get? How do you know when one is up? Or how do you recognize a new one when it is coming down the pike?

Yesterday my faithful 1989 Jetta turned over 275,000 kms. Next to impossible in Ontario, due to salted roads and rusted frames, this car spent most of 1989-2006 over in North Van, where moss is more of a problem than rust. But I have never ever had a vehicle with even close to 200K on it. So? the engineering is there, but the context is what makes or breaks it? Or maybe context and care? This basic little VW was well maintained and that has to be part of it. So, again, what might the 'constellation' of going the distance look like ... in a career? a ministry? a pilot project? a reclamation or turnaround assignment? Maybe it is context, care and calling? who knows?!?

I've never had a paycheque from the same employer for 8.5 years, lived in the same house for 8.5 years, worked with some of the same people ( Randy! ) for 8.5 years before. And now I am not, anymore ( except for the housing 8.5 ). Quite a switch, and I don't think for a minute these meandering thoughts and questions are going to go away any time soon, which is probably a good thing.

dlc

1 comment:

LJ said...

A multi levelled question if I ever asked myself. When you figure it please let me know. Nine and a half years in the same place with fewer and fewer of the same people.