Friday, February 8, 2008

: a pattern developing :


... maybe it's a pattern, a week into my 'blog experiment? I manage a semi-serious post, but can't resist a smart-alec one ( I'll try to keep it in check ). So, if 'life is a highway' was semi-serious, here's today's other one.

Last week the news came out of Willow Creek that the guy they had been grooming for 6 years to take over the 'big house' at their South Barrington campus had resigned. The same Sunday one of their teaching pastors, brought in to try help them turn outward to their neighbourhoods resigned as well. This is on top of the other other teaching pastor giving notice a few months ago that, for all intents and purposes he is transitioning out as well, and the campus pastor of the fastest growing of 4 regional sites wrapping it up Christmas Eve. That would be 4 'big dawg' leaders exiting stage left.

Now nobody likes that much pain, and nobody who has been through transition on any scale would wish this much transition on anybody else. But I have to ask ... "what IS going on here?" ... is it Willow? or something bigger? is it changes in leadership styles or needs? or philosophy of ministry? Beats me, but at the 33 year mark Willow Inc is in for another ride. Uncle Bill is back in the driver's seat, and I guess, the pulpit, for the foreseeable future. They always land on their feet, Willow does, but gosh ... how much can one organization take? WCCC's elders have released Gene, Randy, Mike and Wayne to their next Kingdom pursuits with their full blessing, but it would be quite something to be a fly on the wall at a Willow elder team meeting these days.

dlc

ps. looks like the pic of Bill could be him announcing this ... "what the ?!?!?" ... but I don't think he would be smiling. No matter what we think of WillowBack, we should pray for 'em.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don, you said...

"But I have to ask ... "what IS going on here?" ... is it Willow? or something bigger? is it changes in leadership styles or needs? or philosophy of ministry?"

My guess is it's something bigger.I'm just an arm chair QB, not a " professional ", I've been a volunteer/ servant in the church for almost 30 years now. I don't think there is an area of ministry I haven't been involved in, so anything I toss out here is just from experience as a relief player on the field.

The big question is, can the church continue to drive this luxury vehicle ( the building and all it's inherant structure ). The average pew sitter/ spectator that never comes to an AGM has know clue what it costs to fuel the church...from ministerial leadership to toilet paper...it adds up. There is a cost to community which most people don't think about.
Another fleeting thought, is the culture in which we find ourselves, it's @#$%^&* expensive to live. I have 2 daughters living in Vancouver, minimum wage jobs, going to school, rent 875$ for a bachelor apt ( that amnesty international should look at ), groceries...it adds up. But, they are just one of a generation that is living that way. How does this generation fuel the church structure that's now in place.
Because I was a treasurer in an Anglican church for a few years I have an idea of the costs of clergy. We were paying about 60,0000 for a leader. And believe me, I know all pastors are not making that kind of dough. But you consider that cost, along with building costs etc...it will taking a fairly large community to keep that vehicle running. and then add on the size of staff of something like Willow Creek...it's like fueling the space shuttle. Again, can we continue to support this kind of structure???
Sorry Don, for getting a little long winded here. But, again, I do think it is bigger than Willow Creek. I really think, ahead, leadership and structure are going to look really different. Tw words that just popped into my head are...flexible and economic. Great post Don, It really got my wheels turnin'. Peace...Ron+