Tuesday, July 22, 2008

: blame Canada, eh? or blame demographics :

... maybe it is just me, but the used books I'd like to get my hands on via amazon.ca or abebooks or the myriad of used bookstores within 15 kms of here just aren't available.

... what is it with Canada? or Canadians? don't we read anymore? or don't we buy books, and then put them up for re-sale at used book sellers? I find this frustrating.

... I challenge you. Pick half a dozen great books you've read this year ( assuming you have, that is ) and pump them into amazon.ca or abebooks.ca ... almost everything will come up as in the USofA, sometimes the UK, often Germany even, but Canada? nooooo ...

... could this really be a function of population and/or demographics? of course with a population of 304,666,534 and counting the States have an advantage, sheer volume. But I have to say ... even IF our population of 33,223,800 could fit inside Southern California's ( 2006 estimate was 36,457,549 ) I still say "we need to be reading more widely, different authors and genres, and making them available to others ( me )" ... or maybe I am just wrong, and Canadians keep their books? Either way, I'd like to get my hands on several books a year and I don't care if they are used. I just wish popping into Amazon's Canadian site or AbeBooks.ca yeilded more results ... and didn't force us to go the US route with all the shipping and customs rates, delays and hassles.

There, I feel somewhat better now.

dlc

ps. while I am at it ... can't Amazon figure out that when you go through a link on their Canadian page we would rather see what Canadian booksellers show up without having to scroll through pages of "Not Shipped From Canada" notices? at least Abe shows Canada first, and has a dialogue-type box with seller locations listed. If I have missed something ( I find amazon.ca's site rather cluttered ) please tell me!

UPDATE : 01 August 2008 : Amazon purchases AbeBooks ... whaddya know! here's an article in today's Times-Colonist w/ info.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I am not sure if you really any answers (wink), but I'll try anyway. First, Canadians tend to keep their books longer than the US (thus less for sale online used). Second, books (until recently) were far more expensive in Canada (thus fewer sales and more likely to hold on to what we have). Third, our population is smaller (thus fewer titles on the market, while genre demographics remain more equal). Just a few reasons.

Peace,
Jamie

dlc said...

... actually? I was awaiting a reply from the Dusty Cover ... maybe I was jealous of you being IN the midst of all those books?

... anyhow, it was just a little pity party I think, I am cycling back to a number of influences and would like to get my hands on some older books.

... does the DC have any on-line plans?

Anonymous said...

Hey Don,

LOL! Sorry if I sounded like a Canadian bookseller apologist, but I used to import books from the US and, even with the dollar at par, Canadians SHOULD pay more for their books, as it costs a lot to bring them in.

The DC does not have any immediate plans to go online. More than anything is has to do with the time and energy required to do it (not to mention the skills). At the moment, we are understaffed just for local interaction (which, of course, is our priority). Sorry!

Peace,
Jamie