Monday, February 4, 2008

: fruit facsimiles :

... here is one of my favourites from Tim Bailey's "and another thing" former blog ... seeing as 3 of Tim's fans in Victoria, MattB, JamesK and I, are hoping he will resurrect it soon.

*************************************

Fruit Facsimiles : July 19, 2005 ... I am still on the "success" thing. I think it is so subtle that we miss it's impact. As a reminder to myself, I have made a list of the "fruits of success". Please notice how close (but yet so far) they are from the real thing ...

The fruit of success is: approval, happiness, comfort, tolerance, sympathy, politeness, reliability, congeniality, and discipline.

But,

the fruit of the Spirit is : love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness and self-control.

The latter list comes from the Spirit alone, and has POWER. The former comes from working hard and developing my own "success' with my own strength.

God help me keep in step with the Spirit.

*************************************

I was thinking about this, I guess, in terms of passages, as I was cleaning out/packing up my office this morning after 8.5 years. I took Tim's post off my bulletin board, where it has been for almost 2.5 years. I like to think it has helped me discern a number of things a number of times like ...

approval or love? happiness or joy? comfort or peace? tolerance or patience? sympathy or kindness? politeness or goodness? reliability or faithfulness? congeniality or gentleness? discipline or self-control?

Thanks TB ... we look forward someday to "rants, confessions and self-deprecations from a recovering hypocrite" v. 2.0 ...

dlc

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I need to tack that to my bulletin board Don, How easy it is for me to convince myself that the friuts of success are the same as the fruits of the Spirit. It's usually in the after math of a wreckage, pulling myself from the rubble...they aren't even close. Ones more about the Kingdom, and the others about my little universe that revolves around me.Thanks for the reminder, Peace Ron+

The Renegade Librarian said...

Bailey is a sharp cookie, eh? I miss that dude a lot!

Anonymous said...

awww shucks.