Sunday, May 25, 2008

: like a broken record :

... OK, I had a significant birthday last week, so maybe I'm feeling a generation gap? or language gap? or something?

The other day I heard someone say ... "she sounds like a broken record". It occurred to me ... I know what they mean, but anyone under 25, maybe 35 probably won't. Somehow "you sound like a broken CD ... a broken BlueRay disc, or a broken iPod" just doesn't have the same, uh ... cachet?

dlc

ps. noticed today that I am rather enjoying these lazy, no stress Sunday mornings ... I am showing up 2/3 of the time at Lambrick and/or thePlace, but this no-responsibility zone feels pretty darn good right now. We'll see how long it lasts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hereby give you permission to skip church meetings whenever you feel like it. Stay home in peace.

Anonymous said...

I am just over 30 and I had quite a collection of records. The stereo system I bought for myself included a turn table, but admittedly it was hard to find.

dlc said...

yes, Jamie, but you are an exceptional 30 year old. When I was sorting/packing some albums once upon a time my 7.5 yr old ( at the time, he is 18 now ) ran into the house with a 12" record shouting to his mom ... "look! big black CDs!" ... he now has an iPhone + a mega-gig video iPod. Do we need a new saying for them? Maybe, maybe not. Heard some audiophiles say vinyl may make a comeback.

Anonymous said...

I think the saying will stick, as many of our expressions pre-date our context.