Wednesday, May 21, 2008

: journey and/or destination :

... anyone who has done some marketing work, or training, or education will probably have seen this model of "the marketing funnel" somewhere. I first learned about it in Denver, working for OMF International, in the mid-1990's. My boss/mentor, David, had tweaked it for a more non-profit spin ... to A.I.C.I. : Awareness, Interest, Concern and Involvement. Later on, I played with it some more and arrived at O.P-A.A.U.I-P.OtI.A.C.U.C. ... or Oblivious, Pre-Aware, Aware, Unsettled,Interest-Piqued,Open to Involvement, Action, Concern, Understanding, and finally Commitment. Who says I make things more complicated? I think this may have some parallels to various Randy "Bruggemann and Roxborough" talks over the years, and Sunday night's introduction to the Psalms of Ascent by Stacey : orientation, dis-orientation, re-orientation, and I would add a final category ... new orientation.

All that to say ... I have a post-it-note sitting in front of me with half-a-dozen job postings with deadlines for resume submissions. This has been quite an interesting process pour moi ... but seeing as one of those deadline is tomorrow, and the next is Friday, I'd better get to it. My resume is done, only needs tweaking for specifics of these individual jobs. So it isn't rocket science, just feels final, like I don't want this great in-between break to end, even though I can feel the restlessness and antsyness building ... it is time to get on with the new thing, whatever it is?

Problem is? while I really do want my process to look like the 'traditional funnel' as pictured above, I really identify and relate to the second graphic, the 'complexity funnel' ... as I have said to most of you ... the $64 question these months has been ... "what on earth will Don be doing by Fall 2008? Winter 2009? Spring 2010?

This transition may be about the journey AND the destination.

Hang on ...

dlc

1 comment:

Beth and Mark. said...

You know, Don, we should really talk. I've added Jon F's "story cycle" to AICI. We've also added the "6 Ways to Reach God's world" (http://www.omf.org/omf/content/view/full/138) which is Perspectives' 5 plus "learning."

blessings from Singapore!